Here is a sneak peek from my upcoming cookbook Recipes for Recovery. It’s an easy recipe loaded with nutrition and fiber but low in fat, perfect for patients recovering from major surgery or for folks battling anemia. It’s also delicious! I ate this for breakfast this morning.
- nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup frozen chopped spinach
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 fresh mushroom, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 Tbsp. grated Swiss cheese (or your choice reduced fat shredded cheese)
- Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place over medium heat to preheat.
- Combine the egg substitute, spinach, and nutmeg in a measuring cup. Stir.
- Slice 1 mushroom into thin slices. Add to the egg / spinach mixture.
- Pour mixture into the preheated skillet and cook for approximately five minutes, lifting the edges of the omelet to allow uncooked portions to run beneath and cook.
- When the omelet is set, sprinkle with the cheese, remove skillet from heat, and fold omelet into thirds. Let rest one minute so cheese can melt.
- Serve with a slice of whole wheat toast. Enjoy!
I got this idea from the Vita-Mix website while watching a demo video for a green smoothie. Here is my recipe for a meal replacement shake. It provides a serving of dairy protein, a serving of vegetables, and two servings of fruit in each shake.
Meal Replacement Drink
1 cup skim milk
¼ cup nonfat dry milk
¼ cup Splenda® or other sugar-free sweetener
½ tsp. Vanilla extract
1 orange, peeled
1 apple, cored and quartered
1 cup frozen mixed fruit (I use a peaches, pineapple tidbits, strawberries, and melon mix)
1 cup frozen spinach
Add ingredients to the Vita-mix container in the order listed. Start on Low then gradually flip switch to the High setting. Blend for approximately 90 seconds or until fully blended. Pour into two large glasses and drink immediately.
Ignore the icky green color. This smoothie is delicious, nutritious, and filling. You can experiment with variations by adding carrots or cabbage combined with other fruits. I recommend always including an apple and an orange for balanced nutrition.
If you don’t have a Vita-mix, visit their website. There’s nothing comparable on the market. I’ve owned one for 14 years and can’t imagine life without it!