Autumn brings out the comfort foods, it seems. Here in the Hasty Tasty Kitchen, I’m always experimenting with easier, one–pot versions. After discovering delicious chicken apple sausages at my big warehouse store, I developed this one. It’s a healthy, hearty meal for two that’s a delicious blend of sweet and savory flavors.
NOTE: I used my six quart Instant Pot, but the recipe works in any multi cooker or stovetop pressure cooker. Add cooking time for other methods.
- 12 ounces water for Instant Pot
- 2 sausage links (3-4 oz each) cut into 1/2” slices
- 1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 12 baby cut carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) 1/2 tsp bacon drippings
- Pour water into the inner pot to the Instant Pot.
- (optional) toss cabbage with bacon drippings.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a steamer basket and place inside the Instant Pot above the water.
- Seal pot, set at high pressure for 4 minutes.
- After cook time, cancel. Allow pressure to drop on its own one minute before release. Carefully open pot.
- Check seasoning and add salt/pepper as desired.
- Using tongs, toss and serve.
This dish pairs well with a slice of cornbread. Enjoy.