By now you know I’m a fan of the Vitamix. I use it at least once a day and consider it worth the investment (yes, it’s a bit expensive). I make whole fruit juice every morning to ensure we get our daily serving of fruit. To keep from getting in a rut, I vary the “recipe” or fruit combinations. I now have a new favorite: Cherry Pineapple. Yum!
Here’s how I make it. In the container of my Vitamix I add ¼ cup water, ¼ of a fresh pineapple (include the core), 2 prunes (for sweetness–you don’t taste them), and 10 frozen cherries. Process on Variable Speed from 1 to 10 then switch to High speed. It takes less than a minute and yields 1 eight-ounce glass or 2 four-ounce glasses of juice. Try it!
This weekend we attended a blueberry festival in a little town in Florida, where we sampled a variety of products made with blueberries. It inspired me to create a blueberry recipe for a smoothie. Although it’s easier in a Vitamix, the food processor or blender will work (any appliance that purees). This one is a healthful breakfast for two, and very delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or yogurt or soy milk)
- 1 orange, quartered and peeled
- ½ banana, peeled
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup frozen peaches
- Add all ingredients in order listed to the Vitamix container.
- Secure lid. Turn on Variable Speed 1, gradually increasing to 10 then High.
- Blend for approximately one minute. Use tamper to move food into blades if necessary. (if mixture is too thick, thin with a Tbsp. of water)
- Turn off Vitamix, remove container, then pour into two glasses.
Yield: 2 servings
Note: Drink through a straw. Blueberries stain!
Process until smooth.