Not only is pasta e fagioli hasty and tasty, it’s inexpensive and healthful. Also known as pasta fazool, this dish provides plenty of protein and fiber because it contains beans, vegetables, and whole wheat pasta. The tomatoes and Italian seasonings give it great flavor. Try this dish for your next meat-free meal.
PASTA E FAGIOLI
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning spice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15½ oz. can cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen seasoning blend (Chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, parsley)
- ½ cup whole wheat elbow macaroni
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- (Optional: ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or torn, for garnish)
In a 2 quart saucepan, heat the broth over medium heat. Stir in garlic, seasoning blend, Italian spices, tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a low boil.
Add beans, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add macaroni, cover and simmer for 7 additional minutes.
Remove pan from heat, stir, and check macaroni. Should be cooked al dente.
Sprinkle each serving generously with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Yield: 3 servings
©2011 Cheryl Norman, Recipes for Recovery