Chicken noodle soup is the quintessential comfort food, especially when you’re under the weather. But why pay for sodium-laden canned soup when you can make your own? For this batch of soup, I used the Instant Pot. The recipe is good for any pressure cooker. If you modify it for the slow cooker, don’t use frozen ingredients.
Hasty Tasty Chicken Noodle Soup
Makes 4 one-cup servings
I make my own chicken stock and store it in the freezer. I also keep a supply of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts and thighs. Using a few pantry and crisper items, I can pull out a jar of stock and a thigh and have delicious chicken noodle soup ready in an hour.
- 1 tsp. cooking oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher or pink Himalayan)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (I use Mrs. Dash garlic and herb)
- 1 frozen boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1 pint chicken broth or stock (mine is frozen, but thawed will work)
- 1 pint water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 serving pot-sized linguine
- Preheat the pot (on the Instant Pot use the sauté button). Add oil when the pot is hot.
- Sauté onions, celery, carrots, and pepper for two minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
- Add the water. Using a wooden spoon, deglaze the pot of fond left on the bottom.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, and bay leaf.
- Seal lid and bring to pressure, either by using the manual setting for 30 minutes or the soup setting, which on my Instant Pot defaults to 30 minutes.
- When time is up, turn off cooker and allow pressure to drop on its own (approximately 15 minutes).
- Carefully open cooker. Using a long handled utensil, break apart the chicken and stir soup.
- Add the linguine, cover pot, and allow residual heat to cook the pasta through (approximately ten minutes)
- Remove bay leaf and serve. (If you have fresh herbs, add them before serving)
3 responses to “Hasty Tasty Chicken Noodle Soup”
My favorite is chicken soup with matzoh balls.
Sounds good, Nancy.
I like all your cooking!