In my previous post, I sang the praises of shaved Brussels Sprouts. This week I picked up a free recipe card at the grocery store and tried it. It paired Brussels Sprouts with carrots, adding a sweetness to balance the sulfur-like taste of veggies in the cabbage family. Yum! So with apologies to Publix for a couple of modifications, here it is.
Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 package shaved Brussels sprouts
- 5 oz. carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ tsp. Kosher or pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and preheat on medium 2-3 minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts and carrot matchsticks, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sprouts and carrots are tender but not overcooked.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add butter, salt, and pepper and toss.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This dish also works in the microwave oven. Use a microwave-safe dish, rinse sprouts and carrots, and then cover with a wet paper towel. Microwave on High 2-3 minutes, stir, and add butter. Cover and let stand for five minutes. Season, toss, and serve.