Here’s an easy, nutritious way to stretch a buck: BBQ Beef and Beans. I modified the recipe I got from my friend Chef Gary. If you take a little help from the grocery store (canned beans, rinsed and drained, and jarred barbecue sauce of your choice), you need only ten minutes to get this into the slow cooker. This is one of my favorites to take to a potluck dinner.
HASTY TASTY BBQ BEEF AND BEANS
I use the stainless steel Gourmet Slo-cooker by Americraft so everything is done in one pot. If you use a crockery slow cooker, you will need a skillet to brown your meat and onions.
- 1 pound chuck, cubed
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cans beans (your choice of type. I like variety so I mix 4 kinds of beans)
- 12 ounces prepared barbecue sauce (avoid varieties containing high fructose corn syrup)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Spray skillet or pan with nonstick cooking spray. Salt and pepper the cubed chuck, add it to the skillet, cover, and brown over low heat.
- Open canned beans and drain, rinsing with cold water. Set aside.
- Add chopped onion to the browned chuck. Adjust heat to medium. Do not cover. Cook until all liquid has evaporated (about two minutes).
- In slow cooker pan or Crock-pot, add meat and onions. Slowly stir in the rinsed beans.
- Add barbecue sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for at least four hours. Use lowest possible setting because all the food is cooked. Your only concern is infusing flavor.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 5 pints
Enjoy either as a side or main dish. Remember, beans are a great source of fiber and nutrition yet without the saturated fat of meat.