The idea for this delicious and easy dish came from my author friend Susan Sweet. I modified her recipe a bit by adding vegetables, but that’s an option. Her recipe calls for pineapple juice. I didn’t have any, but I always have crushed pineapple in my pantry. I prefer the added fiber.
Prep time for this meal is about ten minutes. Then plug in your slow cooker and forget about it for five or six hours. I put this on Sunday morning and it’s ready by the time we return home from church.
SLOW COOKER PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (include juice)
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- (optional) 1 Tbsp. corn starch if you prefer thicker sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Empty contents of crushed pineapple into slow cooker pot. Stir in soy sauce, brown sugar, and (optional) corn starch.
- Add celery, onion, and bell pepper pieces.
- Cut chicken into one inch cubes and add to the pot.
- Cover and set slow cooker to Low. Cook for at least five hours.
- Serve over 1/2 cup cooked rice per person.