We love taco soup but try to limit red meat. We still love our beloved taco soup, though, so I changed very little to develop the chicken version.
This qualifies as a Hasty Tasty Meal because many ingredients are in your pantry. I developed this recipe for the electric pressure cooker, yet it can be adapted for stovetop or slow cooker cooking.
Chicken Taco Soup
Makes 5–6 servings
- 1.5 pounds Boneless skinless chicken thighs (fresh or frozen)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can corn
- 3 cans beans, your choice of varieties *
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 quart chicken broth (cooking liquid from chicken)
- (Optional) toppings (cheese, chips, scallions, sour cream)
- Place chicken in pressure cooker in 2 cups water. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook 10 minutes under pressure and then let pressure drop on its own.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid. Pour liquid into a quart measuring pitcher. Add water if necessary to bring amount of broth to 1 quart.
- Heat pressure cooker pot and sauté onions. Add taco seasoning packet and stir, just a few seconds until the spices are fragrant. Turn off heat.
- Add broth and deglaze the pot.
- Shred chicken meat and add to broth.
- Open beans, drain, then add to pot.
- Add corn, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes (do not drain) to pot.
- Pressure cook soup for 10 minutes.
- Carefully release pressure and serve with your choice of toppings.
*This recipe uses garbanzo, black, and pinto beans