We love Mexican flavors and Southwest cuisine, and I love pressure cooking, so here is my version of a spicy taco bowl. It’s faster than messing with taco shells and making filling, so it’s a hasty and tasty meal for taco night. Enjoy.
Chicken Taco Bowl
Makes 5 – 6 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen or thawed)
- 1 cup dried black beans (not soaked)
- 1 cup brown long grain rice
- 12 ounces salsa or 1 regular size can Rotel® diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2½ cups chicken broth or water
- 1 ounce chili or taco seasoning mix
- 8 ounce block Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- (optional) fresh cilantro sprigs
- In the pot of a pressure cooker, place chicken, beans, and rice. Pour salsa and broth over them. Add 1 ounce chili seasoning mix.
- Seal and bring to pressure. Cook 18 minutes (stovetop) or 23 minutes (electric).
- Remove from heat (or hit “cancel”) and allow pressure to drop on its own. Natural depressurization takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Carefully open cooker and stir. Chicken should easily shred, or you may remove it, shred it separately, and stir it into the rice and beans mixture. Top with cheese and cover. Do not return to heat.
- After a minute or two, the residual heat will melt the cheese and the taco bowl is ready to serve with optional garnish.
Variation: add 1 cup frozen corn kernels before adding the cheese.
I enjoy the convenience of a supermarket rotisserie chicken, but unless it’s on sale, it costs as much as $8 for about a 3 pound bird. Not only do I save money cooking my own; I control the ingredients. My family agrees that mine tastes better, too. So here is how I make rotisserie chicken in the oven.
Tools: an oven, a cast iron skillet and a vertical chicken roaster stand.
Ingredients: 1 3½ pound fryer (organs and neck removed–save for making stock) and a spice rub.
My spice rub of choice:
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt or Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
For optional gravy:
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 10 ounces chicken stock or broth
Directions for Hasty Tasty Rotisserie Chicken:
- Place chicken on vertical chicken roasting stand. Position stand in the center of the cast iron skillet.
- Preheat oven to 450° Position rack to a low setting to allow air flow around vertical chicken.
- Combine all ingredients for rub.
- Apply rub over chicken. (Optional: I add a sprig of fresh Rosemary to the top)
Place chicken in center of oven rack.
- Lower oven temperature to 425° and set timer for one hour.
- After one hour, carefully remove skillet and chicken from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken stand to a cutting board or platter. Add 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour to drippings in skillet.
- Place skillet over medium-low heat and stir in flour to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken stock. Simmer over low heat until gravy thickens. Whisk often.
- Carve chicken into serving pieces and serve with the gravy and sides of your choice.