Thanks to Olé, we can enjoy healthier Mexican fare as we celebrate today. Here is a hasty tasty chicken fajita recipe:
- 2 OLE brand High Fiber Low Carb tortillas
- 8 oz. chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
- 1 Tbsp. Chili or Fajita seasoning blend
- 1 Tbsp. peanut or canola oil
- 1 cup julienne-cut bell peppers (I mix green, red, and yellow)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2-3 Tbsp. prepared salsa
- 1 spring cilantro (optional)
- Slowly simmer chicken with the seasoning blend in a dry, covered pan.
- Prepare peppers and onions.
- After chicken is fully cooked, remove from the skillet. Add oil and return skillet to medium heat.
- Saute onions over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add peppers and stir-fry together until peppers are firm-tender. Remove skillet from heat.
- Warm tortillas for 10 seconds in microwave oven. Add salsa to the center of each.
- Divide the chicken between the two tortillas. Cover each with half the peppers/onions.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro if desired. Fold, eat, and enjoy!
Healthy Mexican: Fajitas
You can use frozen veggies to make this dish, but it’s summer. Take advantage of the colorful bell peppers and Vidalia onions to make fajitas. Bonus: Cook this dish in a cast iron skillet and add iron to an already healthy meal. A slideshow follows the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil (or canola oil)
- 8 ounces chicken, pork, steak, or shrimp
- 4 large or 6 small whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 cups julienne-cut bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 2 cups julienne-cut onions
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (or chili seasoning mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) fresh cilantro sprigs
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces and add to the skillet. (If using shrimp, wait to add until vegetables are cooked)
- Cook meat for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Add onions and peppers in batches to keep the skillet hot. Toss frequently with cooking tongs to cook evenly. (The vegetables will cook down and make room for more)
- Cook for 10 minutes or until peppers and onions are cooked yet firm.
- Add jalapeño pepper, garlic, seasoning, salt, pepper (and shrimp, if making shrimp fajitas). Toss with the peppers and onions for one minute.
- Meanwhile, warm the fajitas in a damp towel in the oven or microwave oven.
- Remove skillet from heat and serve directly from the skillet. Make each fajita by spooning salsa on a tortilla, adding chopped fresh cilantro (optional), filling from the skillet, and folding burrito style.
Yield: Makes 2 servings