You don’t have to deep-fry fish to get a crunchy coating. I pan fried catfish fillets in just one tablespoon of safflower oil, and my family gave me rave reviews. Crispy without tasting greasy, this method also works on chicken tenders.
Crispy Fried Fish
- 4 4-5 oz. fillets of catfish or any firm white fish
- 1 Tbsp. safflower oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. grated cheese (I use Parmesan, but cheddar works, too)
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper the fish.
- Beat one egg. Set up a breading station with flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs.
- Mix the cheese in with the bread crumbs.
- Add oil to the skillet.
- Dredge fish fillets in flour first, then egg wash, then bread crumbs/cheese mixture. Be sure fish is covered thoroughly.
- Place each fillet in the hot oil. Do not move. Cook, uncovered for at least five minutes or until fish browns along the edges.
- Carefully turn each fillet and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Plate and serve immediately.
Fried fish doesn’t have to be greasy!
More and more recipes call for panko crumbs, the Japanese version of bread crumbs. They are flakier than traditional bread crumbs (although nutritionally worthless), which theoretically makes them absorb less grease. I usually make bread crumbs from whole wheat bread because they contain fiber and more vitamins, but sometimes panko works better in a recipe.
But have you bought panko? It’s expensive, considering it’s just bread crumbs. Make your own! Here’s how:
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Cut away the crusts from each slice of bread
- Tear each slice of the bread into fourths
- Add half of the bread to the Vitamix container.
- Process on variable speed 5 for 3-5 seconds or until all bread is flaked.
- Empty bread crumbs onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Process second half of the bread and add crumbs to the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, but watch closely. Don’t let crumbs brown.
- Remove tray from oven and allow the crumbs to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container.