The cookie recipe is a good one, although I reserve baking these cookies for the holidays. Too rich with calories for me! The first time I baked these, I took them to a covered dish Christmas party at our church. They disappeared quickly, and I had numerous requests for my secret recipe.
Here it is typed from my tattered Xerox copy I got in my Atlanta office in 1991. A tin of these cookies makes a terrific gift.
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 5 cups oatmeal (blended to a fine powder)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 24 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 8 oz.-Hershey chocolate bar, grated
- 3 cups chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter and both sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, blended oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Fold in chocolate chips, Hershey bar, and nuts.
- Roll into balls (approximately 3/4″ diameter) and arrange two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Yield: 100+ cookies
Note: This recipe is neither hasty nor healthful, but it sure is tasty!