It’s hot. We’re in the midst of summer, a time when we love a frozen treat. You can burn fuel driving to the local ice cream shoppe, spend several dollars for a milk shake, and return home feeling guilty for overindulging on sugar and fat. Or you can save time, money and calories by making your own milk shake. Here’s a recipe I make in my Vitamix.
- 1 cup 1% or skim milk
- ½ cup frozen cherries
- ¼ cup frozen berries medley (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 prune for added natural sweetness (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the Vitamix. Secure lid but leave the plug out to insert the tamper.
- Run the Vitamix on Variable Speed 1, gradually stepping up to 10 then High. Use the tamper to push the frozen fruit into the blades.
- Run until the mixture is smooth but do not overprocess. When the consistency resembles a milk shake (about 1 minute), stop the Vitamix, remove container, and pour into a glass. Enjoy!
Yield: 1 large or 2 small shakes
Variation: Pour extra mixture into molds to make frozen pops.
If you make this for the kids, you don’t have to tell them it’s good for them. Using whole fruit and milk, you have a delicious treat that contains vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. The milk adds calcium. Treat yourself and your family guilt-free!