Sometimes you need a helping of good old comfort food. Using whole wheat pasta and reduced fat cheese, you can make macaroni and cheese a reasonably healthful dish. It’s a hasty tasty meal or side dish, depending on your appetite. ☺
Five Minute Mac-n-Cheese
- ½ cup skim or 1% milk
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. frozen chopped onions
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 measuring cup of shredded reduced fat cheese (your choice—I like sharp cheddar)
- 1 cup cooked whole wheat macaroni
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dissolve the cornstarch into the cold milk. Stir in onions and garlic.
- Pour the milk mixture into a one-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Quickly reduce heat and stir frequently until milk thickens.
- Immediately remove from heat and fold in the cheese until incorporated to make a cheese sauce. If sauce is too tight or stiff, add a small amount of milk.
- Toss with the macaroni, season as desired with salt and/or pepper, and serve.
Yield: 2 servings (or 1 if you’re hungry!)
From RECIPES FOR RECOVERY ©2011 Cheryl Norman