I had leftover pork roast and wanted to make pulled pork barbecued sandwiches, but I couldn’t find a bottle of barbecue sauce in either my fridge or pantry. No problem. I made my own, and in the time it would have taken me to drive to the nearest store.
1 cup catsup
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. real maple syrup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. smoked paprika
Mix together in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Cool.
Variations: Add 1 tsp. each chili sauce, freshly grated ginger, and lemon zest for an Oriental barbecue sauce; Increase maple syrup to 2 Tbsp. for a sweeter barbecue sauce; Add 1 tsp. cumin for a southwestern smoky flavor.
Yield: 12 ounces
BBQ pulled pork sandwich
This recipe is so easy I’ll never shop for bottled sauces again!
I love a good bottled barbecue sauce, but I’m not driving ten miles to the nearest supermarket if I’m out. It’s too easy to make my own! I have several recipes, but this one is the easiest. I make it in a Vitamix, but you can cook it in a saucepan, too.
Simple BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup tomato catsup
- 1 tsp. minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. real maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 slice onion
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Add all ingredients to the Vitamix container. Secure lid.
- Start on variable speed 1 then step up gradually to 10. Switch to high speed.
- Process for 4 minutes or until steam escapes from the lid. Sauce thickens as it heats.
- Pour sauce over meat of your choice.
Use flavorings such as liquid smoke or hot sauce to customize the sauce to your tastes.
Next time you’re at the grocery store, take time to read the labels of various barbecue sauces. Most have high fructose corn syrup as the first or second ingredient. The only additives in my recipe are in the tomato catsup, and that isn’t a lot. Of course, you could make your own catsup, too. Here’s the recipe:
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 tsp. sweetener
- pinch allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- Add all ingredients to the Vitamix container.
- Process on variable speed 4 approximately 1 minute
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight jar or bottle.
Remember when you make your own food, you control the ingredients. Be the master of your kitchen!