We often eat beans. We like them, they’re good for us, and they are inexpensive. Today’s pintos (made in my Instant Pot) are made zesty with the addition of hot Hatch Chilies.
We discovered Hatch Chilies in Texas one summer. Although next to impossible to find fresh in my area, Hatch Chilies in cans are usually found in my pantry.
Here’s my recipe:
Zesty Pinto Beans
- 1 cup Dried Pinto Beans
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Diced Sweet Pepper
- 1/2 cup Hatch Chilies (we like hot, but choose your heat level)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Water or Broth
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Soak beans overnight or do a 1-hour Quick Soak in a Pressure Cooker.*
- Rinse beans and set aside. Wipe the pressure cooker dry and preheat (Sauté Mode).
- When pot is hot, add 1 Tbsp. oil. Allow oil to heat.
- Sauté chopped onions for 2 minutes before adding peppers.
- Sauté peppers 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat (or hit Cancel).
- Stir in garlic.
- Add presoaked beans. Add liquid just to cover beans. Set cooker for 30 minutes.
- Seal and bring to pressure. After cooking, allow pressure to drop on its own.
- Open cooker, stir, and serve.
*For the 1-hour Quick Presoak, place beans in a pressure cooker. Add water to completely cover the beans. Add 1 Tbsp salt. Pressure cook for one minute, cancel, and then allow beans to soak undisturbed for one hour. Rinse and drain before cooking.