I love bagels but not the kind in grocery stores. Our time living in New Jersey spoiled me for fresh, NY style bagels. I’m not returning to the northeast anytime soon, so I’m making my own. I won’t heat my Florida kitchen using the oven, either, so here’s my take on air fryer bagels using a recipe I found in the Weight Watchers’ Facebook group.
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- coarse salt for coating
- Combine flour and yogurt and mix well. Allow dough to rest 30 minutes and then knead 4-5 times.
- Bring 1 quart water to boil in a large saucepan.
- Separate dough into 4 spheres. Shape bagels by punching the middle of each sphere and spinning the dough until desired shape.
- Drop each bagel into the boiling water, turning after 2 minutes.
- After boiling bagels for a total of 4 minutes, remove to drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle tops with coarse salt.
- Place bagels in air fryer and set for 390° for 7 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy with your favorite cream cheese or jam!
Do these bagels taste as good as NY bagels? Not even close. However, they’re good enough, and these bagels are only 2 SmartPoints® on the Weight Watchers® program!