At first glance, this recipe appears time consuming, not hasty. What makes this skillet pie a hasty tasty meal is the prep. You can make it the day before if you want. Then simply place the skillet in a 400°F preheated oven for an hour when you’re ready to cook. Make-ahead meals are so convenient. Today I made this one before heading off to church. When I got home, I simply baked and served. Meanwhile, I had the luxury of changing clothes, reading the Sunday paper, enjoying a cup of tea, and still had time to set the table and pour the iced tea.
Use the oven-safe skillet of your choice, but I prefer the 12″ Lodge cast iron skillet.
Chicken Skillet Pie
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 thawed pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Generously oil the interior surface of a 12″ cast iron skillet. Preheat over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for five minutes, or until onions soften.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook five minutes.
- Combine the cooked chicken with the vegetables. Heat through.
- Combine soups and milk in a quart bowl or pitcher. Stir to blend.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in the soup mixture.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and herbs over the top of the pie filling.
- Gently roll the pie crust until it measures 12″ in diameter (or whatever size skillet you use). Carefully lift the crust and place it atop the pie filling.
- Crimp edges of crust. Cut several vent holes in the top of the crust.
- Place skillet pie in oven on the middle rack. Time for one hour. Do not open oven door to peek until after 45 minutes. If your crust browns before time is up, turn off the oven.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and allow the pie to cool for at least fifteen minutes before cutting to serve. Drape a towel or potholder over the skillet handle as a reminder that it’s hot.
- Cut into six wedges and serve.
One response to “Chicken Skillet Pie”