February 23, 2015 · 6:57 am
Check out this healthful and tasty dish from my friend, author Nancy Cohen.
Nancy's Notes From Florida
Here’s an easy one-dish meal that you can serve alone or with a salad.
Shrimp Brown Rice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
16 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. saffron powder
48 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 lbs. cooked, deveined shrimp
12 oz. frozen broccoli florets
8 oz. frozen peas
In a Dutch oven, sauté onion, red pepper, and mushrooms in oil until tender. Stir in the rice, garlic and saffron. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, then add broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Add broccoli, peas, and shrimp, and cook until heated through. Serves 6-8.
Find more of my favorite recipes at http://nancyjcohen.com/fun-stuff/recipes/
View original post
February 8, 2015 · 6:06 pm
I enjoy the convenience of a supermarket rotisserie chicken, but unless it’s on sale, it costs as much as $8 for about a 3 pound bird. Not only do I save money cooking my own; I control the ingredients. My family agrees that mine tastes better, too. So here is how I make rotisserie chicken in the oven.
Tools: an oven, a cast iron skillet and a vertical chicken roaster stand.
Ingredients: 1 3½ pound fryer (organs and neck removed–save for making stock) and a spice rub.
My spice rub of choice:
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt or Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
For optional gravy:
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 10 ounces chicken stock or broth
Directions for Hasty Tasty Rotisserie Chicken:
- Place chicken on vertical chicken roasting stand. Position stand in the center of the cast iron skillet.
- Preheat oven to 450° Position rack to a low setting to allow air flow around vertical chicken.
- Combine all ingredients for rub.
- Apply rub over chicken. (Optional: I add a sprig of fresh Rosemary to the top)
Place chicken in center of oven rack.
- Lower oven temperature to 425° and set timer for one hour.
- After one hour, carefully remove skillet and chicken from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken stand to a cutting board or platter. Add 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour to drippings in skillet.
- Place skillet over medium-low heat and stir in flour to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken stock. Simmer over low heat until gravy thickens. Whisk often.
- Carve chicken into serving pieces and serve with the gravy and sides of your choice.